Makes: Approximately eight 1lb loaf pans
Preheat to: 320F in the hot air mode (combi ovens)
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 cup lukewarm milk
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 cups all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- Combine the yeast and milk. Stir and leave for 15 minutes to dissolve.
- Melt the butter. Let cool and add to the yeast mixture.
- Mix the flour and salt together in a large bowl. Make a well in the center and pour in the yeast mixture.
- With a wooden spoon, stir from the center, incorporating flour with each turn, to obtain rough dough. Add 2-3 tablespoons of water.
- Transfer to a floured surface and knead until smooth and elastic. Return to the bowl, cover, and leave to rise in a warm place until doubled in volume, 2-3 hours.
- In 2 to 3 hours punch down dough with your fist. Then knead in the cheese, distribute well into the dough.
- Grease a 9 by 5 inch bread pan.
- Twist the dough 180 degrees once so there is a crease across the center. Let the pan set in a warm place to proof and let it raise just above the lip of pan.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Bake bread for 15 minutes, then lower the temperature to 375 degrees. Bake until the bottom of the bread has a hollow sound when tapped with your fingers, about 30 minutes more. Cool for 30 minutes and enjoy!