Preheat to: setting 10
- 4 lbs. boneless bottom round
- ½ tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. pepper
- 3 tbs. vegetable oil
- 4 oz. salt pork, cut into small 1/8 inch cubes
- 8 oz. mirepoix
- 2 oz. flour
- 6 fluid oz. tomato puree
- 1 pt. red wine
- 2 lemons
- 1 pt. demi-glace
- 1 qt. brown veal stock
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme
- 2 tsp. fresh parsley
- Trim and tie seasoned meat, place in dish with red wine and juice from 2 lemons. Marinate for 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Fry salt pork in hot oil until brown on all sides, remove salt pork and set aside. Now take your marinated meat and sear on all sides until deep brown.
- Add mirepoix and sauté until it is brown.
- Add flour and brown in pan 3 to 4 minutes, be sure not to burn.
- Add the tomato puree and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Return meat to the pan, add the marinade, stock, demi, and herbs. Bring the liquid to a boil and turn to setting 3 to simmer. Cover. The liquid should reach a 1/3 the way up the meat for good braising.
- Cook the meat until it is tender enough to pull apart with a fork.
- Remove the meat from the braising pan and set aside.
- Skim the fat from the sauce and strain. Return sauce to pan and reduce until it thickens.
- Add salt pork to sauce.
- Slice meat and add sauce over the top of the meat.